About Shippensburg University
founded in 1871 as the cumberland valley state normal school, shippensburg university is a member of pennsylvania's state system of higher education.
Ship values its community feel, as is evident from our average class size of 26. Personalized attention is key to both the success of our students and our academic programs, of which 13 are accredited.
Beyond the classroom, our students have access to unique resources, such as the Center for Land Use and Sustainability, a stock trading room, centers for entrepreneurial leadership and innovation, a fashion archives and museum, and the only public elementary lab school in the state.
Ship is located about an hour south of Harrisburg. Our campus is in the center of the East Coast’s major metropolitan areas, making Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, D.C. and New York accessible options for students to visit and complete internships.
1871 Old Main Drive, Shippensburg, PA 17257
Facts and Stats about Ship
- Ship is the only state university in Pennsylvania to offer degrees in Civil Engineering (BS), Computer Engineering (BS), Electrical Engineering (BS), Entrepreneurship (BSBA), Mechanical Engineering (BS) and Software Engineering (BS).
- Ship is proud to have one of only eight criminal justice programs (BS) in the United States certified by the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences.
- Ship was the first state university in Pennsylvania to earn and maintain AACSB International accreditation in 1981 for the John L. Grove College of Business.
- Ship was the first campus to obtain a certified green school building in Pennsylvania for the Grace B. Luhrs University Elementary School.
- Ship was ranked twelfth in the nation by Great College Deals for our Disability Studies program.
- Ship is proud to have one of only three programs in Pennsylvania accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication.
Ship was founded as the Cumberland Valley State Normal School in 1871 and received official recognition and approval by the commonwealth on February 21, 1873. Two months later, on April 15, we admitted our first class of 217 students from South Central Pennsylvania. Seeing greater potential for the school, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania purchased it in 1917. Over the next few decades, great strides were made.
2020欧洲杯体育娱乐官网On November 12, 1982, the governor signed Senate Bill 506, establishing the State System of Higher Education. Shippensburg State College was designated Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania, effective July 1, 1983.
2020欧洲杯体育娱乐官网 on august 7, 2017, laurie a carter, j.d., became the 17th president of shippensburg university of pennsylvania. prior to coming to ship, carter was the executive vice president and university counsel for eastern kentucky university.
Sustainability at Ship
2020欧洲杯体育娱乐官网at ship we're committed to sustainability in all areas of university life. here you’ll find a wide variety of projects and practices to make campus life more sustainable.
we use single stream recycling, run our own farm and community garden, and we even have a professor who makes biodiesel from waste vegetable oil to run our ceramic kilns. we're also pursuing greener building practices for our campus facilities.